Monday, May 14, 2012

The Home Depot

Katie D.

When you take your kid for a checkup you bride them to talk about the books they read and not the TV shows they watch, you tell them they can’t play with the phone until you get back to the car and you pray to the gods that they will be good and not have an epic meltdown in the waiting room.  As a mom I want the boys’ pediatrician to see me as a competent mom and that I’m raising healthy, happy boys.

This leads me to my latest trip to Home Depot.  The whole family made the trip and we had plans to pick up a bunch of different items. We arrived around nine thirty, bright and early with two happy boys. Home Depot does it right with the shopping carts as racecars with steering wheels.  Tom and I loaded up the boys and headed down to the lumber area to pick up some joint compound. The boys are fine while moving but started to get a bit antsy while Tom and I were doing some product comparison.  We still had all of the gardening products to pick up, plants to choose from and mulch to load up, this is when I made the decision to make it easier on all of us and give Colby and Lincoln lollipops. Granted it was early but a treat like a lollipop would keep them happy for the rest of our shopping visit.  After picking up our joint compound we made our way all the way to the opposite side to the outdoor gardening area.  The boys happily sucked on their lollipops as Tom and I looked at plants and then we heard “Hi guys”.  Who of course but the boys’ wonderful, fabulous pediatrician.  He’s so damn nice and friendly and we chatted for a bit as he asked about the boys, meanwhile they continue sucking on those lollipops.  I don’t mention the lollipops and he doesn’t say anything but inside I’m dying a little bit.  We say our goodbyes but then end up in line together at the checkout counter! Good grief!

I keep telling myself it’s not a big deal; all pediatricians know that kids have sweets but I was so caught off guard I’m still a bit embarrassed.  But I also made us walk around the parking lot for a minute to make sure we weren’t parked near him so he couldn’t see that I have Lincoln facing forward in his car seat already.  

1 comment:

  1. At least they weren't having lollipops WHILE playing on your phone, like mine would have been!! And he's so dreamy, who cares what he says? ;)

    ReplyDelete