Monday, March 26, 2012

My kids watch TV

Katie D.

My kids watch TV. I don’t feel guilt or pride over this.  Some days the TV doesn’t go on, others it’s on all day and most it’s somewhere in between.  I don’t use it as an excuse to sit and paint my nails, it goes on while I gather things together before we head out the door or to get dinner started or to pacify one child while the other needs me while we continue to work on potty training issues. Obviously, I feel that I need to justify why my kids watch TV. But then I think they love Curious George; why shouldn’t they be allowed to watch that monkey and the man with the yellow hat go on an adventure?  So it goes on when they have a show they want to watch too.  I understand that there are studies out, some schools that advise against it, and the ever present parent at the playground giving the judgment eye when your kid sings a theme song from a cartoon. I don’t keep track of how much we watch, I’ve got other things to do. When Tom and I recognize it’s too much we turn it off.  I write about this to satisfy my need to tell myself and any other mom to own what you do in your house and to sing loud and clear the theme songs to any cartoon at the playground this week. I look forward to hearing them!

2 comments:

  1. Can totally relate to this post! Today was movie day while I tried to catch up on work and the theme song was Princess Fiona and Shrek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not alone Jayne! Great to hear from you!

      Delete