Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What Do You Do For A Living?

Katie R.

A question that comes up all the time in conversation is “What do you do for a living?”   Of course this is a straightforward question that usually arises when I meet someone or run into someone I haven’t seen in awhile.  So why the hell is it so hard for me to answer?  I guess I am still adjusting to the fact that I’m a stay-at-home mom and also I have the dilemma that many moms have of staying-at-home or working. 

So how do I answer this question?  Well it really depends on who asks.
A stay-at-home mom who loves being a stay-at-home mom:  I am at home with the boys.  I love being able to spend time with them and watch them grow up.

A stay-at-home mom that has sitters/daycare:   I am home with the kids but I think it’s great that Andrew goes to school 2 days a week.  It really helps him socialize.

A part-time working mom:  I am home with the kids. I was doing contract work but unfortunately they didn’t need me this year.  I am not sure if I’m going to look for another job or not.

A full-time working mom:  I was working but the non-profit no longer needed me.  I think that I’ll wait until after the summer and start looking for a job. 
Why you may ask do I change my answer?  Part of it is my lack of confidence in the decision to stay-at-home versus going to work.  Another part of it is because I never thought I would be a stay-at-home mom, especially after attending college and graduate school.  Yet another part is that, I worry that not having a job is going to turn my brain into mush. The final part is I feel like other moms often face the same dilemma and want to be justified in their decision in staying-at-home versus working.  Hmm… do you think I may be over thinking this?

So you may have heard any of the above but here is the truth:  I would like to have a part-time job.  I would like to do event planning or volunteer coordination 3 or 4 morning/afternoons a week.  So when that job comes along I will be a working mom but until then I guess I’ll be here battling the little monsters every day.

1 comment:

  1. Best job in the world. Not everyone can be a stay home mommy but most wish they could. You are there for every milestone, first smile, new tooth, first step. Big sacrifice for your career but well worth it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete