Saturday, April 7, 2012

Until Today


Katie D.
So I’ve been lucky up to this point.  My sons have not been pukers. The two times that Colby had thrown up before had been during sleep and I just had to deal with the aftermath.  Not that it wasn’t awful, but I hadn’t seen the right before face and the actual puke coming out of his mouth.  That is until today.

We celebrated Katie R.’s birthday last night and her husband got her a delicious, chocolate cake. Since she is on a diet and doesn’t like chocolate cake our boys received very generous pieces.  Andrew ate some and Colby took his piece to town.  They left and Tom and I put the boys down like any other night.  I heard Colby singing around 7am in his usual happy morning spirit.  I headed into the room and was quite startled that my happy, singing boy was covered, along with his bed, in chocolate cake puke.  The first words out of his mouth are “good morning mommy, lets clean up”.  After I stripped the bed I got him his milk because he seemed in fine shape. Well he wasn’t.  While eating his breakfast with Tom he started to throw up and Tom quickly moved him to the bathroom.  I was getting Lincoln up so I switched with Tom when I had the first chance.  I cleaned him up, put him in some sweats and got my snuggle on with him. Colby was such a trooper; he pointed to his belly and said that it hurt.  I called Katie R. and canceled our plans for the day with them.  And then it happened. Colby’s face went pale, very pale. I asked if he wanted to go to the bathroom, he nodded.  I scooped him up and dashed to the bathroom and there he stood. He gaged, leaned forward and threw up.  And then my sweet little boy closed the lid and flushed the toilet. He just stood there for a bit and then it hit again, he lifted the seat and bent over.  It’s just a different feeling when it’s your child and not your college roommate and you’re holding her hair back. I felt so sorry for him that I couldn’t take the pain away or make it stop for him. That was the last time he puked today.  He had toast for lunch took a 3 hour nap and then ate plain waffles for dinner and played like he usually does in the bath and went to bed at normal time.

Was it a stomach bug, was it the chocolate cake; I don’t know.  He is better now and I hope to not have to deal with a pukey boy again for some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment