Thursday, April 5, 2012

How I Became a Stay-At-Home Mom

Katie R.

If you would have told me in my 20s I would be a stay-at-home mom I would have said that you are out of your (insert a curse word of your comfort level) mind.  I had no intention of staying at home with the kids and even while I was pregnant with Andrew I planned on going back to work; however, things changed and so my journey as a stay-at-home began.

Joe and I ended up in the Upper Valley because of Joe’s career.  Being the amazing wife I am, I followed him from Boston to the UV and I was lucky enough the first year to continue on full-time with the non-profit where I was working in Boston.  It allowed me to adjust to life in the UV and still have a lifeline to the city where I would go a few times a month to “work”, shop and visit friends.
After I became pregnant with Andrew my plan was to work full-time from home and send him to daycare.  However, there was a possible health concern when the little guy was born (which is now thankfully no longer a issue) and the doctor recommended that he not go to daycare if we could avoid it.  Luckily around the same time the economy tanked so the non-profit only needed me part-time. 

We then planned on moving to Ohio so I took some time off while we planned, looked for jobs, searched for places to live etc.   While I freaked out daily about the whole situation, Joe had a couple interviews in Ohio; however, it wasn’t even close to the career path he wanted and so eventually we made the decision to stay in the UV. 

After we bought a house, which for someone as neurotic as I am was quite an ordeal, I ended up talking with my former director who asked me to do some contract work.  It was perfect because it not only allowed me to make some extra money but it also gave me a reason to put Andrew in “school” 2 mornings a week.  I would sit at the coffee shop and work and it was heavenly. Of course then we decide to have another little angel, and my plan was to go back doing contract work after Wes was born.  Unfortunately, the non-profit didn’t need me for the event so here I am a stay-at-home mom. 

My husband, who now claims me as a dependent on his taxes which couldn’t get under my skin more, jokingly tells me just to embrace it.  I think what he really means is “cook or clean something”.  My goal is to start my own event planning business doing small events in the UV and I think I’m getting closer to doing it.  However, we have a lot planned the summer with having family visit, taking vacations, going to the pool so really when do I have time to work or cook or clean or do laundry….

1 comment:

  1. From your mother-in-law's perspective... you are a great stay at home mom. Raising those two sweet boys is the best job you will ever have. I only wish it could have been me 30+ years ago.

    ReplyDelete