Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What in the Hell Just Happened Here??

Katie R.

So Andew’s been a little whiny lately and we chalked it up to me being busy, Wes constantly attacking him with whatever toy he can find and getting over a cold.  That doesn’t mean we aren’t both about to pull out every hair from our head if he whines one more time; however, we’re trying to be as patient as we can be. 
Today started out as a decent day.  Had some breakfast, went and played at the playground with some friends, came home and had lunch and were all playing before naps.  Wes went to bed and Andrew decided he needed to brush his teeth and then he put his pull-up on and went into his room.

Everything seemed ok and then within 5 minutes hell broke loose.  I told Andrew I would read 2 books as its nap time and we read 2 books now and more at night.  So I read one and then he had to choose between Make Way for Ducklings and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  Well true to form he wanted one and than the other and back and forth this goes for 3 minutes.  I finally start reading Chicka Chicka and he loses his mind.  In my head I’m thinking what the hell just happened here?
He then starts thrashing around like he’s having a seizure and hits me with his hand.  It wasn’t intentional but at this point he is past being calmed down so I put the books away and leave the room.  A few minutes later he opens his door, which is not allowed, and is still screaming about books.  I pick him up to put him in bed and he throws himself back catching me on the chin.  It totally caught me off guard so I screamed “ow” and as calmly as possible put him in bed and walked out of the room. 

At this point I’m fuming and commending myself on putting him in bed and not tossing him out the window instead.  I go grab a soda and some lunch which by the way was a great lunch with a child screaming at the top of his lungs in the background.  Finally he gets quiet and I hear the door open.  I put down my soda and am ready to do battle when I hear “Mommy, can I tell you something (pronounced somefin)?  Mommy I am very sorry for being mean to you.  I love you mommy.”
So I stop in my tracks, a smile creeps onto my frustrated face and I am able to unclench my jaw.  I tell him it’s ok and then walk him back to bed and rub his head a little while and he calms down.   I’m pretty sure he was sincere with this one as he didn’t ask once for more books (which he would have done if it was a con). 

Did I handle this correctly, oh probably not but in the end he’s sleeping, I’m typing and we’re counting down the hours until daddy gets home.  I wonder how long it will be until the words “what the hell just happened here” are once again being muttered by a parent in this house... my guess is by 4pm.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment