Saturday, June 8, 2013

I'm a Boy!

We race cars, dig in the dirt and play pirates, but we also have tea parties, play dress up pick flowers.  We don't discriminate our TV watching either; we enjoy watching princesses as much as handy men. I start by mentioning that because the story I'm about to tell took me for a loop.

Colby does a great job brushing his teeth at night.  I let him put his toothpaste on his toothbrush so we go through it pretty quickly.  His current toothpaste had Jake and The Neverland Pirates on it and was blue.  Well, as everything does, it ran out.  During his last day of school Lincoln and I went to Hell, I mean Wal Mart, to grab a few things and all they had for kid toothpaste was Hello Kitty and Tinkerbell. In this house we love some Tinkerbell, so I grabbed it and off we went. 

Fast forward to that night, I call Colby into the bathroom to show him his new toothpaste. I show him and tell him it's pink because of its bubblegum flavor. To my total shock, he drops to the floor and begins to throw an epic tantrum.  Tom had to drag him out of the bathroom to try to calm him down. Once he wasn't screaming Tom and Colby returned and we brushed his teeth much to his chagrin, did bath time and I took him into his room to try to talk to him and get him ready for bed.

Once I finally got him calm and talking he explained to me that Tinkerbell was a girl cartoon and that pink is a color that girls like and that he was a boy and wanted blue toothpaste. He kept repeating this and said that because he was a boy pink was a color he was never going to like. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Ok, so my little boy is a little boy, I get that but it was like a light switch! Ugh, so I validated his feelings and told him I understood and that I'll do something about the toothpaste. 

It's not like I didn't think this would happen to some extent but I thought I had a little more time.

*Update-the following night I gave Colby the option to use our toothpaste (because it was blue) but he insisted on his pink toothpaste because it was his own special one! WTF! Good times being a parent!  I'll keep you posted on how that continues to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment