Friday, January 10, 2014

Still Not A New Englander....

Katie R.

So every time I think I'm becoming a true New Englander something happens to remind me I'm still a Ohio girl.  Last weekend it was Andrew's first ski lesson and with Joe working I had to take him solo which proved even more I'm still not there.  Here is why:

Assuming lessons would be cancelled:  It was freakin' cold.  I assumed because it was still in the single digits with a below zero wind chill they would cancel lessons but apparently lessons are only cancelled for rain or warm conditions.  Really?!?

Not having appropriate ski gear:  It has taken us years to get our kids the correct winter gear.  Andrew finally has skis, ski boots, helmet and all the New England approved (LL Bean) gloves, hats, pants and coat.  So I thought we were all set until 2 days before when I read he needs wool socks.  WTF. Luckily we borrowed some from our friend and he didn't even complain when they were purple with flowers on the top.

Making sure his ski boots really fit:  We tried his ski boots on and he said they were a little tight.  However, he was tired and cranky so we ignored him, yes we are rock star parents.  Joe measured his foot and online it said they were the correct size.  So of course I believe Google over Andrew and off to lessons we went.  After an hour of skiing he said his toes hurt and of course $30 later we are now the proud new owners of a new pair of ski boots.

Assuming the other parents were sane:  It said on the paperwork that parents should stay in the lodge or on the deck area and I assumed parent would listen to this advice.  I was actually looking forward to lessons because Wes was going to a friend's house and I planned on drinking a coffee and watching Andrew from inside a nice warm building.  Because of this I wore appropriate lodge attire, aka a sweater and leggings.  So when lessons began and everyone went to get the kids set up I kept waiting for someone to make the first move to go back in.  It never happened.  I did have a warm winter coat and boots but my legs were frozen.  At one point I was contemplating how I could tie my scarf around my legs; however, as I looked around I realized that everyone else had on appropriate apparel so I sucked it up and kept going inside to “go to the bathroom”. 


So this week we have all the appropriate gear, new socks and of course it’s supposed to rain.  




No comments:

Post a Comment