Saturday, January 18, 2014

Disney on Ice, Without the Rose-Colored Glasses

Katie R.

January 2013. 

I planned, what I thought, would be a amazing day for just Joe, Andrew and I.  Wes, who was only 1 at the time, spent the day with my parents who were visiting so I told Andrew it was "his day."  I told him we would go to Disney on Ice, lunch and anything else he wanted to do.  I splurged for some of the most expensive seats and had visions of how glourious it would be.  After sitting in our seats for 10 minutes we realized they were terrible (and even had the usher come and tell us we could move if we could find some open seats). So we moved to the seats 1/3 of what we paid for ours, bought the $22 spinning, lighted plastic monstrosity which broke before we got home and spent a million dollars on food and drink. But in the end he loved the show so that is all that mattered. Then we gave Andrew all his lunch options and he insisted didn't want to go anywhere.  Eventually he agreed, only because we bribed him angry birds, to have lunch with us. Finally we suggested some afternoon activities like museums, shopping, ice cream but to no avail... we were home hours early than I had planned.  It wasn't a bad day just not the magical day I had imagined.

January 2014

Because of the terrible seats last year we were given 3 comp tickets this year.  And, because I removed those rose colored I was wearing, we purchased the matching $28 ticket for Wes.  My expectations for this show were much less lofty and I expected Andrew would like it, Wes would hate it and Joe and I would probably start drinking the minute we got home (apparently they don't sell alcohol at Disney on Ice.)  And then a little Disney magic happened.  First when we picked out their toy Andrew decided that the toys were "junky" so he chose a snow cone in a Mickey cup which, even with the freakin' $2 souvenir straw, was  1/2 of what most of the other toys cost and we can actually use it again.  Of course, Wes got a matching one, because an arena full of people is not a place for a lesson in sharing, and they were both content.  Wes sat the entire show and although he howled during some of the music, yes howled, was a perfect little audience member.  We skipped lunch because a snow cone, popcorn and snacks hidden in my bag were consumed the entire show and we were happily home and playing Legos by 2.  

So was 2014 that much better than 2013?  Probably not, but if my kids have taught me one things it's to keep my expectations low... very low.  

All Smiles!


Yep that is a $2 straw

No comments:

Post a Comment