Monday, November 19, 2012

'Tis the Season for Tackiness

Katie R.

One Thanksgiving down and one to go.   We are so thankful to our family for visiting and more importantly watching our kids so we could get away for the night.  To show them how much we appreciate their help I, yes I Katie, made a Thanksgiving dinner all on my own.  It wasn’t fancy but it was good and no one seems sick so I call that a success.  Luckily on Thursday's Thanksgiving Katie D. will do the cooking and I will do the drinking.
So while I was cursing cooking yesterday my husband was working his December obsession… Christmas lights.  Now we don’t come close to matching the Griswolds; however, it is his plan to be there by the time are children are grown.  Each year at the end of the season we add just one more item for the yard.  To date we have a santa roller coaster, 3 smaller figurines, a blow-up Santa, a blow-up snow globe, candy canes and over 9,000 lights (Joe said that is a low estimate). 

So as I was cooking and my mom was watching Wes and Andrew, my husband and father brought up all the lights in one huge ball.  They then asked if we would untangle them while they went to the store.  My mother who is way too nice said yes and because I didn’t want to look the Grinch I agreed to help too.  A small portion of these lights are now all over my bedroom.  Awesome.
I will post some pictures after Joe gets them all up but just to explain how tacky we are here are a few things that happened last year.

-        Our neighbors told Joe “the yard decorations were great and then we can home and saw the tree.  Woo Hoo”.  My husband wrapped the trunk of our 100 foot tall tree, approximately 40 feet of tree trunk, in red and white striped lights

-        I can’t fall asleep at night because the lights hanging from our gutter are so bright

-        I am woke up every morning when the lights go on (set by a timer of course) so that our neighbors can see them on their way to work

-         I had to fight a long battle to get him to stop turning the lights on after the first week of January

-          We are now known as the family in the neighborhood with the lights
So this year we’ll add our new blow-up items and my husband also wants to do something with the chimney and a star, I just stop listening.  He’ll be up on the roof all weekend while I watch the kids, woo hoo.
 

And don't even get me started on the boxes of empty beer bottles for home brewing. 
It's fantastic that we have those in our room.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment