Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pumpkin Festival 2012.. Another Mother of the Year Award

So Katie D. sent out an email earlier in the week asking if anyone was interested in going to a semi-local pumpkin festival.  We had already been considering going so of course we said “we’re in”

This is how I imagined the day to be.  We would be in all our fall jackets, scarves, hats and get some great photos looking like the perfect autumn family.  I even suggested Katie D. and I get an updated photo for the blog.  I thought the boys would look at the thousands of pumpkins and we would eat pumpkin treats.  Wes would sit with Lincoln in the stroller and they would eat snacks and enjoy the perfect fall day.

Here is what actually happened.  We all met at our house and Ohio State was losing the football game to Purdue (where Joe went to college).  We  They figured out the mini-van arrangements as I was to stuck in the game.  We then headed to the festival where I was glued to my cell trying to figure out the score of the game.

We get out and start getting organized and I realize it is hot out.  So I now have on a t-shirt and jeans and boots which are making my legs sweat.  Wes doesn’t want to sit in the stroller and there are way more people there then I thought.  We move forward and things are ok… for about 5 minutes.  Wes wants out of the stroller so bad and EVERY time he sees us he cries.  Katie D. was great to push he and Lincoln around even though neither one of them wants to be in the stroller.  Oh and at this point Ohio State is 3 minutes from losing and I’m grumpy. 

We make it to the fire truck and the kids get out.  They are all loving it, well I think they are because I’m chasing Wes all around the festival.  He runs in front of people and the minute I pick him up he screams at the top of his lungs. 

We then make our way around the festival and Wes is still fussy but we’re hanging in there.  Ohio State manages to pull off a victory and the kids are loving the pumpkins.  We let them run around, and go get something to eat and Wes is totally off his rocker at this point.  The food is great and I bribe him with anything… I mean he ate a pumpkin whoopie pie for dinner, but nothing is really working and the other kids are starting to get tired.  We look at some more pumpkins and head to the vans.

The kids do fine on the way home, even Wes for the most part, and then for our sanity the adults had a couple beers and let the kids stay up way past their bedtime.  The kids had a good time, although our lower level is still a mess and I’m just ignoring it, and the kids passed out quickly.

Joe and I get some food because Wes didn’t really allow for eating at all and we are just getting ready to put the food in my mouth when Wes starts screaming.  Now Wes has been sleeping through the night for months so this is a bit unusual.  We let him cry for a bit but he’s really crying so I go in and check on him.  I then hold him, rock him, pat him and nothing is working.  I finally say screw it and tell Joe to make him a bottle and I go to change his diaper thinking maybe that is the problem.  As I change his diaper he starts gnawing on his fingers.  Hmmm… any good mother would have probably already thought maybe he was teething.  Not this mom, so I jam my finger in his mouth and touch the spot where the next tooth should be coming in.  Sure enough I feel it and by his scream I now know what his problem has been all day.  A small bottle and a good dose of Tylenol and he went right to sleep without a peep.

Wow how different the day would have been for poor Wes if his parents would have just given him some Tylenol.  Yep pretty sure I deserve another mother of the year award.

The good news is that the other kids and parents had a great day and the festival and pumpkins were pretty cool.

I think the total count of pumpkins throughout the festival was over 20,000

The older boys are sitting by the pumpkins we brought


No comments:

Post a Comment