Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Countdown to Halloween


Katie D.
Halloween equals candy. Yes, there are the joys of deciding what to wear, figuring out plans for the big trick or treat and decorating the house for Halloween but as any kid will tell you it’s about the haul at the end of the night.  Years past Tom and I have been able to redistribute the boys candy so they don’t eat so much but I have a feeling those days are soon behind us.

I’m not a parent that tries to make every moment a teachable moment but when the opportunity falls into my lap I can’t help it.  My step-mother gave the boys a beautiful countdown to Halloween calendar last year. I’m guessing you could put candy in every pocket but like the boys Gram, I put coins in it.  Every day Colby drags a kitchen chair to it and we count the days we have already done and then he opens the day and pulls out the coins.  And the sweetheart that he is, Colby shares them with his brother and we yell, “To the piggybank” and run into his room. I help take the piggybank off of the shelf and put it on the floor so both Colby and Lincoln can put the coins in.  It gives us 2 counting opportunities in a matter of minutes and I can see the confidence in Colby build every time we do it (and we are not eating candy instead).
 
This will be a wonderful Halloween! The boys have fabulous costumes picked out and we get to go trick or treating in our neighborhood this year. But until then we will continue to run to the piggybank!

No comments:

Post a Comment