Friday, July 13, 2012

Swim Class


Katie D.

For the past three weeks Colby and I have been attending swim classes.  It’s an introductory class in teaching the basics of swimming to kids age 3-5 and providing parents the tools to help support and foster good swimming techniques.   I would never have called Colby a water baby by any means but I had hopes that he would enjoy swim class.  Class was at the town outdoor pool and the temperature of the water was only regulated by the sun.  This did not help the situation.  We were in the class with good friends (Katie R. and Andrew) so I thought it would encourage Colby to participate; it didn’t.  Leah, the instructor, was wonderful with the kids and split up the activities into easy, fun steps.  As hard as she tried Colby still wasn’t a fan.  Most classes were spent with me standing in the water and holding Colby above the water watching the class and observing everyone around us.  Colby wasn’t disruptive to the class, just unhappy so I shadowed the class so I could learn the techniques and I also hoped that he would eventually join in.  He never did.  Here’s the kicker; as much as he disliked class and was miserable during it as soon as we got in the big tan van he would inform me that he had fun in swim class!  His memory was that he liked swim class and that was why I continued to bring him.  This Thursday was the last swim class and Colby did NOT want to go.  It was a fight to get him in his swim trunks and into the car.  I decided once we got to the pool not to push it.  It was the final class but we just sat on the grass and watched together. Halfway through he wanted to go to the side of the pool to cheer his friends on. Leah came over and offered him a kick board and invited him in.  Shockingly he accepted and we slowly waded into the pool. It was hot as hell out and I was grateful he finally wanted to go in.  And then, even more to my amazement, Leah asked Colby if she could show him something and he went willingly into her arms and worked on kicking and bobbing with her.  It took until the last 10 minutes of the last swim class but Colby cracked a smile.  After class we received our certificate for our completion of the class and I couldn’t have been more proud of it. This was not an easy endeavor for Colby and me but we pushed forward and I’m really glad we stuck with it (but I don’t plan to take anymore swim classes anytime soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment