Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quick Guacamole-Spinach Dip

Katie D.


We’ve all got them. They take up space, collect dust and stack up higher and higher.  Yes, I love all my cookbooks but why do I never use them?  For my bridal shower all the guests brought a recipe card with one of their favorite recipes. So in addition to all my cookbooks I have the recipe card box overflowing with wonderful recipes too.  I have my staples that I make frequently, some special treats that I pull out from time to time and the standard dips I make when going to friend’s house or have company over. 

Recently my family was invited to a dinner party and I was requested to bring the appetizer.  I felt like mixing it up a bit.  Instead of surfing the web to find some recipe, I decided to sit at my kitchen table and look through my cookbooks and recipe cards.  I was amazed at all the fabulous recipes at my fingertips.  Page after page I saw more recipes that sounded delicious and were easy and straight forward. I narrowed it down to two that seemed perfect for the occasion and prepared them to my best ability.  At the dinner party I was playing with the kids on the swing set when I came around to hear Tom tell Joe that I had made the dip and that you couldn’t just buy it in the store.  Apparently it was a success.  It was devoured and I went home with an empty bowl. 

Two weeks later, I offered to make the dip for Andrew’s birthday party. Katie R. gladly accepted because she had enough crap to do herself between the party, her family in town and her house still under construction.  It seemed to be another success and requests have come in for the recipe. 

Quick Guacamole-Spinach Dip
1 package dry guacamole dip mix
1 8oz soft cream cheese
1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  1large tomato, finely chopped


Combine guacamole mix and creame cheese. Squeeze excess liquid from spinach. Add to cheese mixture. Add tomato. Mix well to combine. Paula recommends serving it with tortilla chips but I found that pita chips worked very well. It yields 2 cups!

What inspired me to write about the dip is not to brag about my fabulous cooking skills but to encourage anyone to grab one of the many cookbooks that may be sitting on a shelf and try something in it.  Maybe I’ll write about my next successful recipe or huge catastrophe. Stayed tuned to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment