Monday, February 17, 2014

The Details

Matching cups, hats and decorations make a birthday party pretty but letting a 5 year old pick out all the accessories make a birthday party his own.  Luckily not getting my act together soon enough and not living in an area where my options are plentiful allowed Colby to run the show for his birthday party.  He had a theme....superhero, Star Wars Angry Birds. And really, who am I to make him narrow it down.  So off we went to our local party store to stock up on crap the necessities needed for a birthday party.  And boy did we get enough stuff...


 

 
We did the Captain America shield cake for the family birthday party and then Colby wanted the Spiderman, Darth Vader and Yoda cupcake toppings for the friend birthday party. It's a bit of a variety but what the hell....


 
 
I, for some crazy reason, agreed to buy a piñata for the event as well. After looking at EVERY piñata in the store we settled on a Spiderman one.  I called it an "indoor" piñata because instead of needed to smack it with a stick it had 2dozen or so ribbons on the bottom and the kids got to pull one at a time until it finally opened and poured on the floor for the kids to gather. I'll never buy the regular kind again! It was awesome and all the kids had several attempts to pull ribbons!
 

 And we had a wide variety of decorations...Marvel wall clings (soon to be moved to Colby's bedroom) Avengers streamers, Angry birds wall hangings just to point out a few.  We did not discriminate against any decorations.

Oh and then me and my homemade activities.  I present these with no grand ideas that my arts and craft skills are sometimes left lacking or maybe it is that I realize my audience and realize that 5 year olds are not going to criticize my coloring skills!


 

Pin the star on the shield or as I like to call it ode to sexy Captian America. Each child had a star waiting for them on arrival so they could play as many times as they like.  Some of the boys liked to all go at the same time which made for some good quality collisions.

And my next activity would have been way cooler if we hadn't received 2 feet of snow the night before. I had filled balloons with water and food coloring and cut up a tarp to show off a message for Colby.  Only a few balloons broke once thrown at the tarp but most sunk into the soft snow but the kids still thought it was really cool to throw water balloons so I still consider the activity a win.



It was fun to find them the next day and break the remaining ones that didn't freeze in the snow.  The food coloring made the snow look like rainbow sherbet!  I will definitely try it again on harder snow.

The kids all took home goodies bags filled with odds and ends and lots of candy from the piñata! I apologized to the parents on pick-up for the amount of candy they consumed and then sent them on there way.

Colby told me he had an awesome time so I think I continue to leave the decorating up to him. Great job buddy, I had a great time too!






No comments:

Post a Comment