Friday, February 21, 2014

Hurt Feelings

I could hear Lincoln and Colby playing in the next room.  I could tell that a battle for a toy was ensuing and I waited in the kitchen to see if they could work it out.  It seemed to work out and the boys kept playing until Lincoln came sulking into the kitchen and announced that "Colby hurt my feelings!" I sunk to my knees to embrace him and console him and his feelings.  We had a little chat and he rallied and went back to playing with Colby.  I felt for my little guy and the fact that he was having feelings he needed help coping with but I was also proud of him for rallying so well and got back to playing.

Fast forward a few hours and I had heard...

"Isis Kitty hurt my feelings" (she sat on the blanket he wanted to use)
"The TV hurt my feelings" (It was off and he was not pleased with that)
"You hurt my feelings" ( I wouldn't give him a juice box)
"My bed hurt my feelings" (he didn't want to take a nap)

Clearly Lincoln found a phrase that triggered an immediate response and tried to milk it for all that it was worth. As imagined, my concern for him and his feelings became less and less every time something hurt his feelings. Well played Lincoln. Unfortunately you went to hard too fast and wore out it's welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment