Sunday, February 17, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013.... It Wasn't So Bad

Katie R.

I love holidays.  I love to decorate, buy gifts, have parties... except for Valentine's Day.   I don't boycott the holiday or refuse to let my kids participate in things; however, I doubt I will ever have a big Valentine's Day party.  However, as far as Valentine's Days go this one was one of the best.

Why am I such a Valentine's grinch?  I think it started in my early 20s when many of my friends were getting married or at least involved in serious relationships and I seemed to never be dating anyone over Valentine's Day.  Also as I have already stated, I'm not a super emotional person and writing love letters, whispering sweet nothings and everything else that this holiday embraces pretty much gives me hives. 

However, as with many things, having my kids involved with this holiday made it much better.  Andrew and I went shopping the night before, of course, and stopped for dinner at 5 Guys Burgers.  Andrew loved the fries and I ate my weight in peanuts and all around had a good time.

 
The next morning Andrew couldn't wait for me to open the gifts he gave me.  First it was a ring he saw while we were picking out Joe's gift (beer) at the local health food store.  Joe told me that Andrew insisted that his gift to mommy was the ring.  Joe had to drive all over while Andrew tried to explain the store until Joe finally figured out what he was talking about.  The ring, a mood ring with butterflies on it, totally makes up for the 10 minutes of constant whining about him buying a ring for himself when I bought Joe's gift. 
 
 
 
Also Joe also let Andrew pick a few other gifts to give me. He picked out bath salts, lip gloss and a pie candle-yes a pie candle complete with pie rack. 
 
 
 
Joe was off that day so after gifts we walked to the golf course and went sledding which meant naps for all.  And the best gift of all was from Joe, not the awesome pajamas he got me, but when I was staring in the freezer deciding what to get out for dinner when he said "Let's just feed the kids and have wine and take-out for dinner."    Now I remember why I married him and maybe next year my card to him will be romantic and not funny...no probably not.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment