Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Not a Tutorial on Hair Cutting

Katie D.

I cut my boys hair. Not as a cost cutting measure but that does help with the budget.  It started with my fear and dragging a kid kicking and screaming to a salon while someone with scissors attempts to cut hair while I stand by in a full sweat.  I've done some bad cuts on Colby, we had an old set of clippers and not many attachments, so I did alot with scissors which I could never make even.  And then when Lincoln came around and his hair was so fine it made me nervous to cut it. So off I went one day while Colby was at school to a local place to get Lincoln's hair cut.  He wasn't a hot mess but it wasn't awesome.  We both survived but I decided that I would try to cut his hair the next time he needed it cut.  I came to the realization that if I was going to do this I needed to do it right and buy a new pair of clippers.  A nice new set cost only $20 so I didn't know why I didn't buy one earlier; poor Colby! Armed with a new, sharp clippers it takes less then 10 minutes to cut one boys hair and I can do it on my time and when their moods are up for it.  With cartoons and a bribe for sitting still I have no problem cutting their hair.  As for my technique, well let's just say it's nothing to brag about.  All the attachments are numbered and they have one to go around each ear so I have changed it up to see what works best on each boy.  My fade is continuing to improve with each haircut; for example, on Colby I do a 6 on top then a 4 to a 3 and then I clean up the edges.  I've even started cutting Tom's hair because he hates the inconvenience of having to go somewhere to get it cut and then it gets soooo long and unruly!
Before and oh so eager!!!

Still thrilled but happy it's over!

I'm not a hairdresser but it's one of the hats I put on as Mom-Extraordinaire! I just keep discovering more hats to put on!  Lord knows what will be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment