Thursday, February 28, 2013

Old Moms

Katie D.

You know your an old mom when you visit a friend in the hospital having her 3rd child and all you and the other girlfriends can talk about is all the things that have changed since having our 1st kids. First of all, I laughed when I walked in to the maternity ward because it was the thinnest I had ever been in that place.  Apparently the breast feeding technique has changed and as our friend described the new method all of us old moms just laughed and said how silly it sounded.  This started the conversation about what old moms do compared to new moms.

Let me explain to you the difference! For example both my boys had pacifiers. Colby's were all boiled and kept in special, clean compartment and cleaned soon after they touched the ground. And then you have a second child and you keep that paci in your pocket, purse or just on the floor for them to find it later on their own.  As a new mom I brought Colby all around the house as I did things, even bringing him into the bathroom with me but as an old mom with Lincoln I knew as a newborn he was fine laying on the floor and I could go get a glass of water or pee without him needing me. 

You can't really explain the difference to a new mom because you cannot become an old mom before going through the ropes of being a new mom.  We all sat around and laughed because we had all been there and if only we knew how easy it was with one.....

Nothing like a group photo shot on a hospital bed!
 
We laughed and traded stories for the evening and then left our friend to rest.  She hasn't had that baby yet but as a veteran old mom she will rock it when she decided to come out! 

Oh, and she has a pretty kick ass blog too if you want to check it out!  Rub Some Dirt On It!

No comments:

Post a Comment