Sunday, March 23, 2014

March Madness.. a lot different with kids

Katie R.

March Madness.  One of the greatest weekends of the year: cheering for the underdog, hoping your alma mater will win and holding your breath while watching the buzzer beaters.   What can make watching the games even more fun?  Of course watching the games with friends, eating food and drinking some beers.

There is only one problem with that.  I think that I forgot that when I invite a big group of friends it comes with a big group of kids.  So needless to say prepping for this year's party I spent time prepping the playroom and buying juice boxes and no time running to pick up a keg.

So from 1pm to 10pm  we had approximately 15 kids, ages 6 and under, who were the party animals.  And like every good party there was take out pizza, dancing on the couch, a lot of yelling, a few fights, a little blood and most of the guests home and asleep by 10.



Here is the before (I moved all the furniture and put away every lego sized toy I could find):
Normally in this space there is a couch and love seat

The mudroom now becomes a playroom




During with only 1/3 of the guest remaining:

No party is complete without a change of clothes


And the after (which I am still getting put back together):
No cushion left on the couch and not toy left in a cubby.   
And although at the end of the night we had to turn of basketball for a little Paw Patrol and What Did a Fox Say was on the iPad, I'm pretty sure the parents had a good time.  So even though it may take me until next month to reorganize the room I am 100% sure we'll do it again next year, because each year the kids get a little older and able to be unsupervised for greater lengths of time.  Because let's be honest all parents really want to do is ignore their children at these kind of parties.  So the only thing we may do different is set a recording of the adults say "go downstairs" oh and maybe a keg...

No comments:

Post a Comment