Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What Passengers on a Plane Really Think


Katie R.
During my marathon cleaning this week I suddenly remembered a conversation that my aunt and I had a month ago while we were visiting.  We spent the night at her house and as usual Wes was wreaking havoc at bed time and Joe was taking his turn restraining rocking him to sleep. 

So I continued to drink and my aunt and I talked about traveling with children, specifically flying.  Her children are now both graduated from college; however, when they were younger she was much braver than I and flew with her kids frequently.  We came up with a list of what others are thinking when they see, hear or feel children on planes:

Parents flying with kids:  There is a sense of comradery between parents flying with kids and these travelers are willing to stop when you need help or just offer that smile that says “I know what you are going through and we will make it through.”

Parents flying without kids:  Although they may not have their children these travelers have been there.  They understand although the whole time they are thinking “Thank god my kids aren’t here now.”

Grandparents:  Grandparents are a special breed.  They not only are not bothered by your kids they will play with them, laugh at their antics and honestly will take your children if you need them too.

Business Travels:  Although I have never had a negative experience with anyone on a plane, the business travel is the one I avoid when we pick our seats.  At the end of the day you can tell they just want to be home and the last thing they want are cheerios flying at their heads.
People who don’t have children:  As they are on the way to their exotic vacation or touring Europe they look at me loaded down with bags, coffee slopped down my shirt and pushing a stroller and it reaffirms their decision to not have children.

People who don’t have children YET:  At first they think your kids are cute and smile at each other saying “some day that will be our kids”.  Then they see you shove the pacifier from the seat of the airplane back in to your kids mouth or turn on the iPad for your 11month old and then they say “We will never do that with our kids”

This was Andrew's 4th flight at 5 months old... we have been on 1 flight since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment