Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dear Summer, We're Done


Oh Summer, how I longed for you in February, when all I could dream of spending carefree days basking in the sunshine.  And just when we thought you would never arrive it was June and school was out, schedules were forgotten and vacations began. 
And then of course July came in all its glory.  The 4th of July festivals and parades, picnics with our friends and a glorious week at a lake in Maine with friends, tired kids and after-hour adult time.  Shoes were no longer worn and even with layers of sunscreen tan lines appeared and night after night tired, dirty children were bathed and put to bed.

Finally came August and the sun is still shining and shining and shining.  Family has come and gone and school has started for most of the country, but oh no, not for us.  With one last long weekend of summer we will spend it watching fireworks, at a lake and having friends over for a cookout.  Then what I longed to get away from in June I welcome back with open arms... a routine.
Oh September, how I long for you.  I long for the cool days, sweatshirts, Dunkin Donuts pumpkin coffee and not having to explain why they have to go to bed when it’s still light.  I imagine their adorable faces as I drop them off at pre-school and wave good-bye.  And we must not forget the most important thing about Fall which of course is Ohio State Football.

So as we spend the next few days counting down the hours until school starts I will remember how great you were summer and look forward to the next one… 9 months from now.  Go Bucks!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment