Thursday, June 5, 2014

Life Lessons from the Neighbor Cat

I think that the cat next door, Smoke, realizes that this house is missing our Isis Kitty. He comes over to visit anytime we are outside.  We are happy to pat him as he lounges around us as the boys play. Yesterday the boys were at the water table and I was just enjoying the sunshine as Smoke sat at my feet. I noticed the cat creep into a pouncing position.  I thought Smoke was about to pounce on a grasshopper but when he jumped and came out with a mouse in his mouth I was surprised.  He took it over to the bottom of the slide and let it run around a bit as he kept pawing at it.  I tried to encourage the boys to move to the deck so as to give the cat some space. (I wasn't sure what his plan was and I was hoping he would just walk away with it in his mouth.) The boys wanted nothing to do with giving Smoke some space. Colby actually wanted to watch from the top of the slide. "Don't worry mom, the mouse is already dead" he reminded me! So I let him go to the top of the slide to let him watch.



  He continues to narrate for me as Smoke continues to play/eat/maul the mouse, "Mom, Smoke eat the head off!" I would think this would disturb my boys but they saw it (and explained to me as such) as food for Smoke that he caught on his own.  They seemed fine with it after the cat devoured the mouse in about 6 bites.  It was disgusting to me but the boys just went back to playing at the water table after it was all over.  I did tell them to give the cat space after that because I thought he would throw it back up but he lingered for another hour and seemed fine. 

I appreciated the rodent control and the circle of life lesson the neighbor cat taught us that day.  Thanks Smoke!

No comments:

Post a Comment