Monday, June 23, 2014

Trip to the ER

It was going to happen eventually, the fall, the scream and the cut that means we are taking our first trip to the emergency room.


We were visiting family at the beach and had just come in from a great day in the sun.  Tom went to put the beach toys away and I marched the boys straight to the shower to hose off.  I stepped in first to get the water on and then I told Colby to come in and he took one step, slipped and hit chin first on the shower floor. I scooped him up and covered his chin immediately. Amazingly their wasn't much blood but when I finally looked I saw that the cut was deep.  I called to Tom and he instantly agreed we needed to go to the emergency room. We left Lincoln with his grandfather and a sandy Colby, Mom and Dad headed for the closest ER.  Luckily we were in Maine and I knew the location of the closest ER so we weren't driving blind following a gps to the nearest facility. I now will proceed with the bragging portion of this blog.  After the initial scream and cry of the fall/cut Colby did not cry at all. The entire car ride he sat with his wet facecloth held to his chin and then once arriving at the ER he answered questions the nurses and doctors asked him without hesitation.  In the picture above he has a cotton ball with lidocaine on it to numb the cut. We had to sit there for about twenty minutes to make sure that it had kicked in.  We told Colby he would need stiches and he seemed alright about it. (Thank you Doc McStuffins from Disney) The doctor was wonderful (she has two kids the same age as Colby and Lincoln) and knew how to handle the situation.  As she kept him talking she shoved the needle all around his cut. He mentioned that it stung a little but he wasn't bothered with her continuing to shove the needle in. Then she proceeded to stich up his little chin. 4 stiches latter and he was up for ice cream so off we headed to the nearest scoop shop for a treat for my little rock star. He could have asked for the moon and I would have promised it to him but all he wanted was some ice cream. 

Weeks later and the stiches have dissolved and all that remains is a little scar and a story to tell the rest of his life.  He was so brave! Tom and I couldn't be prouder and happier to have that under our belts.

No comments:

Post a Comment