Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Worst Check-up Ever...

Katie R.

Want to feel like a better parent?  Read this.  I think this may rank as one of the worst check-ups ever, primarily because it's the appointment that will never end.  Seriously it's been a week of constant reminders and there is no end in sight.

Let's start from the beginning.  First, Wes went to drs appointment after a morning at camp and no nap. Worst scheduling my a mother ever.  Then, Andrew went to Daddy's office while Wes went to the doctor, and being daddy's boy that went over like a lead balloon. So we started out the appointment crying.  

Then he refused to get on the scale.  Throwing himself around, crying, screaming and basically doing anything to mortify me.  Eventually, I had to get weighed with him and then put him down to be weighed.  Awesome.  I basically trapped him against the wall to get his height and then the poor nurse fled the room as fast as her feet would take her.

A knock on the door and I look up to see a nurse holding a book for Wes to which he promptly screams "no".  I look again and the nurse is someone I had a drink with the previous weekend and this was the first time she has met my child.  Amazing first impression.

She leaves and the doctor then takes a 1/2 hour to get in the room.  This is how he finds Wes.  Yes he is eating a snack under the chair at the hospital.  Quite possibly the dirtiest place on earth.  He wasn't crying and I didn't care.  (please note the shorts int he photo, those come into play later).  And yes he has on a pink pull-up because we had to borrow it from a friend before the appointment



Wes did not cry for the doctor but he was as defiant as he could be.  He refused to talk but when he did, he ensured that he said something that would make me want to crawl in a hole.  For example, when Dr. Sam asked if he could say over 100 words I said yes and then Wes said "Dr. Sam do you want to play construction vehicles games on Mommy's iphone".  When Dr. Sam asked Wes if he could look in his ear to see what is there Wes said "there is poop in there".  When Dr. Sam said can you name body parts Wes said "just my stinky toes".

Finally when we could take no more the appointment came to a close.  Dr. Sam is amazing and funny and happy the whole time.  I can't get out the door fast enough and Dr. Sam says "By the way I think we are neighbors"  Oh My God.  Sure enough he and his wife moved in about 4 houses from us.  He probably is putting up a for sale sign right now.


As we pulled out of the parking garage this happened.  At 4 o'clock of course the worst time of the day.


It's over right?  Oh not so fast.  I get home and the phone rings.  Remember the shorts that were on the floor, apparently we left them there.  I say no problem my husband works there he can pick them up tomorrow.  

Did that happen?  Of course not.  Look what came in the mail today.

Not only do we probably need to find a new dr we can probably never take a walk in our neighborhood.

See don't you feel like a good parent?


No comments:

Post a Comment