Friday, May 16, 2014

Who is the gray haired lady driving all over the road...oh wait it's me

Katie R.

So a couple weeks ago I had a birthday and it honestly did not bother me a second that I was a year older.  In fact, I thought I had it it totally together, I even was talking to someone and said "I don't feel old because I'm really content with my life because I like my job, my house, my kids"  (ok I may have been a little drunk when I said this, but at the time I meant it).

Then it happened.  I was visiting my parents in Ohio and took the boys, in my mom's car, to pick up their cousin.  They were so excited to spend the day with him that I took a quick shower and didn't bother drying my hair.  It was a beautiful morning and the kids asked to have the windows down.  Because I'm such a fun mom I put all the windows down and opened the sunroof to take in all the fresh air.

My boys, who have lived in the northeast their entire lives, where talking about how flat it was and we were looking views like this:




So a sunny, beautiful spring day what could go wrong?  I looked in the rear view mirror. With my hair being wet it was several shades darker and with the sun shining through the roof I noticed a few gray hairs and then I noticed a few more.  I suddenly realized as I was driving my mom's car from one ditch to the other that over 1/2 my hair was grey.  I immediately drove back at record-breaking speeds and checked in the bathroom mirror only to find the car mirror was not lying. So I did what anyone would do, texted my friend to see if we could color my hair as soon as I got home and started drinking about noon.  I was finally feeling like maybe it wasn't so bad when my husband leans over me when we are sitting on the patio and starts nodding.  I gave him a questioning look and he says "you do have a lot of gray hair".  Wow.  Another beer please.

So now I'm officially old.  I will have my every 6-8 week appointment to get my hair colored, I noticed my hands are becoming more wrinkled and don't even get me started on my teeth.

Oh well... I had 3 good weeks after my birthday.





No comments:

Post a Comment