Sunday, May 5, 2013

Couponing PTSD

Katie R.

In an effort to keep on budget we decided to begin shopping with coupons. Originally Joe was doing the shopping but 2 weeks ago I decided that I would take a turn. 

So during nap time 2 Mondays ago I put a list together and organized the coupons.  I made sure to have enough food to cover all the meals for the week and then saved money in the budget for things that were on sale.  I even looked at the store flier to compare their sales with what I had coupons for.

I planned on going at 7pm so that the store wouldn't be crowded and I could take my time.  As I was gathering my items and Joe commented, pretty fancy shoes for grocery shopping, I realized I had nicer shoes from a meeting I had earlier but they weren't heels so I laughed and walked out door.

I walked into the grocery feeling confident and organized.  I put my list, envelopes with coupons and phone (aka calculator) in the front and was ready to roll.  The first few aisles I was doing awesome.  I crossed items off the list, keeping a running calculation on my phone and the coupons were still completely organized.

Fast forward to 1/2 way through the store and the calculations were off and I quit keeping track.  I was still using the coupons and making sure to keep them organized.  I'm also still fairly certain that at this point I'm still on budget.

Finally I reach the last aisle and of course things have completely fallen apart.  Coupons are completely a mess, I have no idea how much I've spent and I feel like my head is going to explode.  And my feet are now hurting from the stupid shoes I wore so I'm limping down the dairy aisle.  I finally grab the last few items and head to the checkout.

I'm the only one in line and the 15 year old checking me out is very nice.  Of course at that hour there is no bagger and I have a cart full of items.  This means I threw things haphazardly in the bags because I've now  been there 1 hour and 45 minutes at this point and all I wanted to do is get out of the store.  I get through the line and my bill is $233 and I was supposed to stay at $150 so I'm annoyed. However, at this point I would have paid anything so I gave him my store card and coupons and hope for the best.

He rang the coupons and I was bagging and he found a few that when he scanned the coupons they didn't match up.  Now in my right mind I would have said "oh don't worry about it" but I was complete crazed so I was digging through all my bags trying to find the bacon and deli meat to get $2 off.  I have no idea how it happened but as I was searching for these I looked up and realized there were now 4 people behind me in line.  They were looking less then thrilled as I dug through my bags.  Now my groceries are on the floor, out of the bag in my cart and on the counter.   I just threw in the towel as he wouldn't just override it and said I would go to the counter. 

I apologized to the long line and walked to the service counter where the experienced employee took the coupons and handed me $2.  I then hobbled to the car and went home.

So... the results.  The starting bill was $233.  With coupons and the store card I saved $67.  Making the total bill $166 which was only $16 over our planned budget.  The kids were sick last week so we didn't do a big trip to the store meaning it's time for me to go tomorrow.  Will I do it again?  The thought of it is too much so I think I'll go out and paint which is another story.


No comments:

Post a Comment