Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Love Letter

Their is no easy way to put it...Colby is growing up.  He has continued to grow into this incredibly sweet and kind little man.  As much as I would love to take all the credit so much of it is because of the wonderful preschool program he has been a part of these last 3 years. 

I vividly remember a conversation with my girlfriends 3 years ago in regards to preschool programs.  Most of my friends had been looking around, considering and signing their kids up and I was firm in my stance that Colby wasn't ready for a program yet. I was socializing him, we got out and about and heck he wasn't even talking yet.  My girlfriends and I discussed the pro's and con's of it and we finished our play date and went on our ways.  That very night I relieved the conversation in my head and made a complete 180. I admit it, my mind was completely changed. Colby, my first child, could benefit from 2 days of social interaction, classroom rules and other authoritative adults. I did my research, called a program I was interested in, visited the classroom and had Colby signed up within 2 weeks of that conversation with my girlfriends. 

Colby's preschool program was a great fit for everyone from the start.  Colby had a very difficult time at drop off at the beginning and Vicki, Eileen and Laurel always had a great approach to soothe him and to send me on my way.  I was grateful to know they could handle it and didn't need me (or want me) to linger to make the separation more difficult.  I remember the first time Vicki told me at pick-up that Colby was "un-corporative" that day.   What a great way to say he was bad!  If anyone else had told me my kid was bad I would have been offended but coming from this program it was just another day to learn and become better. 

The next year, with the same teachers, Colby attended 3 days a week.  His confidence grew and his comfort with the teachers was more present.  One day at pick-up I was having a word with a teacher and Colby was pulling on my arm to leave and Eileen just said calmly, "Colby, please don't pull on mom's hand while she is talking" and he did just that (as if that is all it took in my house to make him stop doing something).

His third and final year he attended 4 days a week and enjoyed more attention from a very small class of 6 boys.  I think the small class helped create a tight knit group of students and teachers.  (It also made for the parents to become friends too, a fabulous bonus) Anytime Colby was tired, grumpy or not happy about something all it took was a hug from Laurel to make anything seem better.  She, as well as Eileen and Vicki were always so good about getting down to their level to help them work on expressing their feelings or to get to the route of the problem.

At the end of the school year it was difficult to imagine these women, that have shaped Colby in so many ways, wouldn't be a part of his everyday life anymore. Luckily they have a summer program that I signed Colby up for so it didn't feel like goodbye...yet. Well, last week was goodbye. On Friday I had Colby go give big hugs to the three women in his life that want nothing but the best for him.  I couldn't look any of them in the eye, afraid I would completely break down myself.  I hurried both Colby and Lincoln out and loaded them into the van.  I go to drive away and Colby says, "goodbye school, I'm going to miss you school" to which I say how sweet that is through my tears streaming down my face behind my sunglasses. 

I know, Lincoln will be at that pre-school for 2 more years so I shouldn't be so sad.  But when the experience for Colby and me was so wonderful and provided him so much confidence I can't help but pause and be extremely grateful for the past 3 years and what they have meant to me. 

At his pre-K graduation
Colby heads to Kindergarten in just a few weeks and we couldn't be more excited.  He is ready thanks to Laurel, Eileen and Vicki! With love, a very grateful Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment