Thursday, September 12, 2013

Soccer Mom Wannabe

Katie R.

So last Saturday was Andrew's first day of soccer this season.  Joe was off work, the house was fairly clean because we were having guests all weekend and we were up in plenty of time to get ready.  Feeling ready to start the day I decided this was the day we would have it all together and I truly would be a soccer mom.

I took a shower, put on make-up and dressed in perfect soccer mom attire.  Because there was an Ohio State game that afternoon I dressed in a Ohio State cardigan (a cool one not a grandma one), a white button down shirt and skinny jeans.  And then I found the matching metallic loafer I had been missing all season and we walked out the door.  Because I was totally on top if it we even had time for me to stop for a coffee and we were registered and waiting for soccer to begin right on time.

And then the perfect soccer mom facade began to crumble.  First as I was standing watching Andrew I suddenly remembered why I didn't wear the shoes all last year... they give me blisters.  Then when I was talking with some other parents on another part of the field. I realized that everyone on Andrew's team was having a water break and his water was all the way across the field with Joe and Wes.  When I reached him he insisted he wasn't thirsty so I quickly said "ok" to avoid having to go get it.  Finally, as we reached the end of the hour I was ridiculously overdressed and was so hot, and I didn't want to take the cardigan off because I had a black tank under the white shirt and it looked ridiculous. 

So there I stood. sweating, blisters on my heels and no water bottle for my kid.  And the icing on the cake.. my phone was with Joe on the other end of the field so I took zero photos of Andrew.  Well I was an amazing soccer mom for 30 minutes, there is always next Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment